Our Tutoring Approach for help with your writing assignments
Our goal is to help you improve your writing skills.
Because we want you to get better, we will not do the fixing, correcting, or writing for you.
In your tutoring session, peer tutors will:
- help you evaluate and understand the assignment instructions
- discuss your questions about your writing
- review writing techniques, such as thesis development, organization and use of topic sentences
- suggest methods for improving your reading practices and writing
- identify error patterns in your writing and help you improve your editing skills
Limits to help from a peer tutor may include:
- choosing only one or more serious errors
- showing you how to fix errors by using separate examples and guiding you to helpful resources
- giving editing advice and practice so that you learn how to improve your own editing skills
- suggesting that you ask your instructor for answers to questions that the peer tutor cannot answer