Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Websites with Images
- Under 'Advanced Search' you can filter by 'Usage Rights' to only show search results published under an open license. For example, "free to use share or modify"
- Unsplash has a photograph collection of more than 500,000 images. All images are free to use, even for commercial purposes.
Creative Commons Search
- Identifies Creative Commons image and media sites, and allows you to search them one at a time. Click on the service you want - e.g. Fotopedia -before entering your search terms. For more details on permitted uses see About Creative Commons.
- An image search engine tailored to efficiently locate images for blogs, comps, inspiration, and research. They use a Flickr™ API, but aren't affiliated with Flickr. When you run a search, click Creative Commons from the left-side menu.
Encyclopedia of Life
- Global access to knowledge about life on Earth. Each image will be shared under a different license and most are published under Creative Commons licenses
- Search through thousands of free, public domain stock photos
National Gallery of Art Images
- Over 51,000 open access digital images from the US National Gallery of Art, with many famous works included. NGA's Open Access Policy encourages wide use and provides details on permissions.
- A collection of icons, the Noun Project strives to build a global visual language that everyone can understand. Icons have public domain or creative commons licenses. Using symbols demonstrates digital and print attribution. User can also pay a fee to use the icon without attribution
- Copyright-friendly image library for teachers and students. For details see P4L's image use policy.
US Fish and Wildlife Service National Digital Library
- Most of the images in this searchable database are in the public domain; those that are not specify permitted uses and attribution.
- A collection of public domain and freely-licensed educational media content (images, sound and video clips). For permissions info, see the Reuse guide.
- Over 100,000 images that are free to use for non-commercial education